Sun Joe SWJ803E Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chainsaw
Sun Joe SWJ803E Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chainsaw is lightweight, corded, electric pole chainsaw designed for cutting overhanging branches and thin logs.
Telescoping pole extends the users reach, allowing the most tasks to be done from the ground, while multi-angle head ensures optimal cutting angle. Although Sun Joe SWJ803E requires extension cord and mains power to operate, it also features rather strong motor of 8 Amps for 10-inch Oregon cutting bar and chain.
Published: October 22, 2019.
Sun Joe SWJ803E Pole Chainsaw Features and Specifications
Main features of Sun Joe SWJ803E include:
- telescoping pole with the variable length from 5.8 to 8.8 feet (~177 - 268.4 cm), for maximum pole chainsaw reach of 14 feet (427 cm).
- Sun Joe SWJ803E is rated at 8 Amps, helping 10-inch (25.4 cm) Oregon cutting bar and chain to cut easily through rather thick logs - maximum log thickness is 9.5 inches (~24 cm), although maximum recommended log thickness is 7-8 inches (~17.8 - 20.3 cm).
- cutting bar and chain feature automatic lubrication with the 2 oz (~60 cm3) oil tank. Note: chain feature 3/8 inch pitch. Sun Joe SWJ803E doesn't feature automatic brake and doesn't feature automatic chain tension adjustment system - chain tension adjustment is done manually.
Note: although Sun Joe SWJ803E is simple to assemble, use and maintain pole chainsaw, when it arrives, be sure to thoroughly read the manual in order to get accustomed to your new tool!
- multi-angle head adjusts from 0° to 30°, helping the user to cut under optimal angle and ensuring as clean cuts as possible.
- Sun Joe SWJ803E comes with the safety switch, in order to prevent accidental starting. However, unit doesn't come with automatic brake, so be careful about potential kickbacks.
- unit weighs 7.9 pounds (~3.6 kg) and when working, it is held with both arms, causing very little fatigue. Note: when operating this and similar tools and accessories, always wear safety glasses/goggles and gloves and never stand under the branch you are cutting.
- having ear/sound protection is also recommended - when operating, Sun Joe SWJ803E features sound level of 100 dB, which is acceptable for such tool, but nonetheless, tend to be loud when really close by.
- no load speed is 6000 rpm (100 rps).
- at the moment, Sun Joe SWJ803E is available in four colors: Camo, Green, Purple and Red. While Camo unit looks great, Purple and Red units are so much easier to spot in the workshop, storage area or on the lawn.
- Sun Joe SWJ803E features short (1.25 feet, ~38 cm) pig-tail power cord, requiring the user to have proper power extension cord.
Since Sun Joe SWJ803E is rated at 8 Amps, in order to avoid energy loses, it is recommended to use at least 16 AWG power extension cords up to 50 feet (~15 m) in length or at least 14 AWG power extension cords up to 100 feet (~30 ) in length.
Thicker extension cords may be used, but they are thicker, heavier and more difficult to work with.
Extension power cord for Sun Joe SWJ803E must be brightly colored to be easily seen in the grass or on other surfaces and must be intended/designed for outdoor use - if you have extension power cord for corded walk-behind lawn mower (10-12 Amps or more), feel free to use it, just be aware that it is perhaps little bit too thick and harder to work with.
Sun Joe Electric Corded Pole Chainsaws Comparison Chart
Sun Joe manufactures several electric corded pole chainsaws that differ in pole length, motor strength, bar/chain length, etc. The following chart lists several, very popular Sun Joe pole chainsaw models:
|Model||Sun Joe SWJ800E||Sun Joe SWJ801E||Sun Joe SWJ802E||Sun Joe SWJ803E|
|Motor||6.5 Amps||7 Amps||6.5 Amps||8 Amps|
|Bar/Chain||8 inches||8 inches||8 inches||10 inches|
|Maximum Branch Thickness||7.5 inches||7.5 inches||7.5 inches||9.5 inches|
|Oil Tank Capacity||2 ounces||2 ounces||2 ounces||2 ounces|
|Telescoping Pole Length||5.6 - 8.7 feet||5.6 - 8.7 feet||5.9 - 9.4 feet||5.8 - 8.8 feet|
|Overhead Reach||Up to 15 feet||Up to 15 feet||Up to 15 feet||Up to 15 feet|
|Weight||7.7 pounds||7.0 pounds||7.9 pounds||7.9 pounds|
|Noise Level||108 dB||108 dB||105 dB||100 dB|
|Amazon Link||Sun Joe SWJ800E||Sun Joe SWJ801E||Sun Joe SWJ802E||Sun Joe SWJ803E|
Note: Amazon affiliate links open in the new windows, feel free to check them for most up-to-date offers and prices.
As one can see, Sun Joe SWJ803E features the strongest motor (8 Amps) and the longest bar/chain (10 inches). Also, it is not as loud as other models.
Other features are generally very similar - overhead reach, tank capacity and similar.
Also, Sun Joe SWJ803E costs more than other units, but price difference is almost marginal, especially considering its better performances.
Long Story Short: If you are looking for versatile pole chainsaw, that requires minimum maintenance and it easy to assemble and use, consider this unit.
It is electric corded unit, very powerful for its size, release no fumes like gas operated units, its operating time is not limited by the onboard batteries like in cordless pole chainsaws, etc.
Just be sure to read the manual, especially parts regarding chain maintenance, chain tension adjsutments and of course, safety requirements/rules.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Sun Joe SWJ803E Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chainsaw Amazon link (link opens in the new window).